Saturday, March 28, 2009

Personal Design Style


I was recently asked my personal interior design style. Since I’m renting right now, the current style of my house is not mine, but my roommate’s. This is clearly a difference of opinion for us. She is very traditional, antiques and “shabby chic”, where I’m one of two extremes – California Craftsman or Beachy.

California Craftsman
Have you ever seen The L Word? Bette and Tina’s house is California Craftsman and I LOVE IT! California Craftsman also called Craftsman Bungalow, has chunky, dark wood molding framing windows, block style railings and furniture, built-in bookcases, and benches, and stone fireplaces, often times off set by striking warm colors either with paint or art. Most California Craftsman homes have large planked, sometimes dark, wood flooring. I can see hurricane glass containers filled with candles on the mantle of the stone fireplace, large scale framed art from local and famous artists, and amazing lighting fixtures cascading warm light thought the space. California Craftsman is an amazing style and fits me like a glove. I love the concept of dark, rich woods, making a home feel warm and inviting, but casual at the same time. To me, it’s all about being causal. I’m one of the most causal people around. I’m attracted to casual. I love to spend the weekends in jeans, tee shirts and flip-flops. I’m causal, but not unkept or cheap – just check out my RL Polo collection. My roommate’s traditional and antique style just doesn’t mesh with causal and relaxed.

Beachy
I grew up one block from the ocean on a barrier island in south Jersey. By no means was my house a “beach house”; it didn’t have that beach house vibe, but I have salt water running though my veins and sand between my toes. The beachy style is full of light, airy colors, cool blues, greens and grays. Bedrooms are full of crisp, clean, white bedding. Great art, full of vibrant colors, of sailboats, lighthouses and sun sets. Wonderful accessories, candles and the feeling of rest and relaxation. A beach house should be easy to clean, easy to keep clean and full of light. It’s the ultimate causal feeling, usually with a great outdoor space that can be used for entertaining friends, family and kids. It’s a great feeling to set foot in a beach house and I want that feeling every time I walk through the door. It’s far different from California Craftsman but I think an amazing mix would a little bit of both.
I guess I do a good job of conveying my personal style to those in my life, because every person who has walked through my front door has said, “wow, this really isn’t your house”.

No comments: