Saturday, March 21, 2009

Songs


Music is one of the best things in the world, along with the usual; running water, indoor plumbing, electricity, the microwave, and reality tv. Apple’s iPod changed the way people listen to and appreciate music, but I’m not totally convinced it was one of those “without flaw” changes to mankind. Don’t get me wrong; I love my iPod as much as I love by blackberry and Fox’s Reality TV channel. But I miss the days of making mix cds (or tapes for my older readers). With mix cds you were able to share music with others, music that reminds of you a particular place or moment. Everyone has those memories and songs can bring you back to that memory in an instant. I love music, constantly searching for new artists and genres but with the iPod era it’s impossible to share my music selections with others. Your music selections, tastes and play lists are like a picture into your heart and head. Apple has stripped our ability to share music with others.

How many mix cds do you have? How many were given to you from friends or lovers? When you listen to them, don’t they bring you back to a particular place and time and evoke intense memories and feelings? I have about 7 mix cds that were gifts, each with a different feeling or memory in mind.

Mix cd #1 – Found on my car the morning I moved from NJ to MD. The songs are all about people leaving town, being needed to return, being missed and love lost. There was no note attached to the cd I found that morning – just labeled “Amanda’s mix”. I was driving the long 4 hours to my new house alone in my then VW Beatle with tears streaming down my face as I played the cd over and over. It didn’t shock me at that time that I had such strong emotions about the music coming from the speakers, but even now when I play it, that emotion is still there; still so real. That is the power of music.

Mix cd #2 and #3 - Given to me while in college. These two cds together compile some of the best and meaningful music I have in my collection. I haven’t listened to them in years; I have them tucked away in an old shoebox under my bed. Not sure why I’m keeping them if I don’t listen to them, but I can’t seem to let them go. I don’t even talk to the person who gave them to me. That is the power of music.

Mix cd #4 – Given to me by my sorority sisters at my senior ceremony (basically your last day as an undergraduate sister). This cd, although loved, is one of the strangest mixes I’ve ever heard. I really like when cds and play lists cross musical genres, but this cd is out there – even for my taste. It brings back memories of parties, laughs, dances and formals (of course, we’re sorority girls). I don’t have a lot of pictures from my college days (thanks to Meredith, I remember why) so this cd means a lot to me. It reminds me of the one of the best times of my life, a time that I don’t too often think about and tend to only remember the bad parts. That’s the power of music.

About 2 years ago, my best friend Julie got married. We were at the airport, picking up two of her bridesmaids and of course one had made a mix cd for Julie. It was all about marriage and love. I can remember thinking “wow, do they still sell blank cds?” It’s only gotten worse since then. I love the music on my iPod; I work hard to update it often, added the latest from the Billboard charts, songs heard on good tv shows or movies and recommendations from friends. That’s where I struggle; not that I don’t trust my friends sense of music (well some of them I do), but I have to shell out the 99 cents to purchase the song from iTunes just to listen to the whole song! Yeah, yeah, 99 cents isn’t a huge sum of money, but the point isn’t the money – it’s the music.

No comments: