Sunday, February 22, 2009

1999


This was orginially posted to my Facebook, borrowed or stolen from my friend Kate. It’s certainly more expaned here.

This is the summary of my senior year in high school. For those who knew me then, you will find it amusing and full of good memories. For those who didn’t know me then, it might give you a better picture of where I came from.

“Knowing where you come from is as important as knowing where you are going.”
Did you date someone from your school? No, I didn’t really date a lot in high school. I was obsessed with my friends. The boys in my group were the only ones I would have considered dating. We were such a tigh group of friends that dating would have just made things weird. Just ask Emily and Mark.

Did you marry someone from your high school? No. For those of you who know me, I’m sure you can think of the one person from high school I wouldn’t mind marrying. Too bad he now lives on the other side of country.

Did you car pool to school? No – that’s part of the charm of South Jersey – hanging out in parking lots. To get the most out of that expereince, you had to have your own ride. Car-pooling didn’t make it as cool.

What kind of car did you have? 96’ Purple Chevy Caviler that I bought from a friend

What kind do you have now? 07’ Jeep Compass

Its Friday night..where were you? I spent a lot of Friday nights at Mark’s house. Of course in the land of diners, we were usually on our way over the bridge for some late night grilled cheese and tomatoes! You can't get more Jersey

It is Friday night...where are you now? At happy hour with friends, desperately seeking Mr. Right Now.

What kind of job did you have in high school? Growing up on LBI, the only real job anyone could have was a summer job – and there were plenty of them. I worked at a local tee-shirt shop owned by a close family friend. I spent many hours with the stero cranked up sizing racks of LBI shirts or outside working on my tan. I should have used the time to read some books, but I always found better things to do.

What kind of job do you have now? I’ve been a corporate recruiter for a weight loss company for the past three years. I recently got promoted to HR Manager.

Were you a party animal? Heck no – but I made up for that in college. I was friends with too many “goodie” kids to be a party animal, but we made our own fun.

Did you play any sports? Varsity soccer

Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? 7th grade drop out

Were you a nerd? I certainly wasn’t a nerd, I didn’t always have my head stuck in books and I always had friends to hang around with. I stuck close to my good friend Nora my senior year. I had a lot of friends that didn’t go to my high school. I was certainly more popular in my head.

Can you sing the fight song? With all the football games I attended, I have no clue what the fight song is. I’m not even sure we have a chant. Needless to say, I didn’t go to the games for the football, but it was the place to see and be seen.

Who was/were your favorite teacher(s)? Mr. Jim McCabe because he was a normal person. He was our theater teacher, aren’t they always the best? He did sometimes rub his beard in a kind of creepy way, but everyone forgave him.

Where did you sit during lunch? I’m sure I sat at the same table every day, but almost 10 years later, I have no idea where that was.

What was your school's full name? Sounthern Regional High School

When did you graduate? June 1999

If you could go back and do it again, would you? I would go back if I could take the knoweldge and expereince I have gained since. Maybe 10 years isn’t that much life expereinces, but through college, being in a sorority, completing gradudate school and spending 3+ years in the “real world” you certainly learn some things. High school was an amazing coming of age story but I’m not certain that returning now it would be that great. I think I would be much more cautious and less likely to wear my heart on my sleeve.

If you could go back and do it again, what would you change? I would have purchased a flat iron and I would not experminted so much with my hair. I would have held on tigher to the friends that really mattered.

Did you have fun at Prom? Of course, I didn’t spend the night crying in the girl’s bathroom. We dropped our case of beer in the street on our way to prom. We didn’t rent a limo, I drove. I was co-chairman of the prom committee and we showed up late, smelling of beer. My date didn’t go to my high school. I had to wait in line for pictures. My date fell asleep in the backseat on the way home. We saw Austin Powers the next day. My date was the only one who was awake through the whole movie. I guess his nap was helpful!

Do you talk to the person you went to Prom with? I don’t talk to him everyday but he’s a great guy. If I needed him, I think he’d totally be there for me.

Are you planning on going to your next reunion? 10 years – why the heck not? I’m somewhat successful, I’d like to show that off. I went to college out of state which really hurt my high school friendships following graduation. I’d like to see everyone again, meeting spouses, kids, etc. It will be an exciting time. I’d love to see who is still holding a grudge against me too. It’s been 10 years – GET OVER IT!

Do you still talk to people from high school? Thanks to facebook.

What are some of your favorite memories?

My parking spot right next to Nora Cunningham
My 18th birthday party at Mark’s house – first time I bought a lottery ticket
Visiting Ron on his boat
Following Mark and Emily into “the field”
Our mission trip
Away games

No comments: