Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Joint Custody


I’ve been living with my roommate for 3 years. It’s a townhouse, that my roommate owns, from which I rent my bedroom, access to the garage, kitchen, living room, bathroom (both a full and a ½), coat closet, appliances (both kitchen and laundry) and the desk top computer in our “office” (which is really a guest room, since neither of us work out of that room).

Her computer, a DELL (“dude, you’re getting a dell”…what happened to that guy?), has to be one of the slowest computers in the history of computers. Yes, this is the same roommate who has a “stereo” that is really a boombox without an AUX jack. Why would I think she would have a modern computer? We have been though all kinds of Internet providers, Verizon, Comcast, back to Verizon; whoever has the best deal where we can lock in at a discount price for the first 6 months. I used to blame the slowness of the computer on the Internet provider – right, like that isn’t your first instinct too?

A few months ago, amongst our never ending game of switch the provider we got wireless Internet, under the advisement of the customer service rep that said wireless Internet has a higher connection speed. Why would we get wireless Internet with a freaking desktop computer? My roommate decided that wireless was a good idea. So we dusted off my laptop and started surfing the net from the living room. I was in favor of this new computing option because the ice cream chair (that is apparently the official name for the style of chair) used at the desk in our “office” is one of the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever rested by butt on. I believe computing is more enjoyable when you are sitting in a comfy chair.

Never in my wildest dreams did I believe that my roommate would become obsessed with computing. She can spend hours on her day off on the computer. Not playing games, not updating her Facebook status, not IMing friends, not downloading music. What does she do? She reads blogs. Blogs written by total strangers. She is one of those grass is always greener people; always looking that what everyone else has, is doing or saying is better than what she has, is doing or saying.

For all intensive purposes, we share this computer; but I’m the owner.

So what? When I get the computer, only on the days when she is working until 11pm, I update my blog, change my Facebook status, find friends, etc. Today, I made a comment to my friend Katie about following her blog and her not returning the favor (by made a comment I mean wrote on her wall). I came home from work today, with the intention of updating my blog – mostly to see if my friend has taken me up on my offer to follow the blog. I opened my laptop and WHAM – a new wallpaper - my face side-by-side my roommate’s face; a picture from a vacation we took a few years ago. Not the baby Presley wallpaper I was expecting! Not really a great picture to boot!

Joint: united, joined or sharing with another.
Custody: immediate charge and control exercised by a person or authority



2 comments:

K8T said...

What? I did sign up to follow your blog as soon as I saw your comment on my post! And I didn't see anything on my Facebook wall about me not returning the favor! What are these lies you speak, er, blog about?!?!

K8T said...

Oh, but thanks for the shout-out, love! xo