Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Fog

Fog by definition is “vapor condensed to fine particles of water suspended in the lower atmosphere that differs from cloud only in being near the ground”; so essentially a cloud on the ground rather than in the sky – a cloud you can walk through rather than fly though; just a cloud.

The “weather gods” – Zeus and Anemoi, came together today in a perfect form of weather – the great fog of 2008. To pull a line from my late grandmother “I’ve never seen anything like that…in all my life”. When I say perfect weather, can you sense the sarcasm in my voice? The sarcasm defines perfect weather as bad or unpleasant weather that only occurs during non-working hours and enjoyable weather that occurs during working hours. It’s like the perfect storm. Today was no different.

It was raining this morning when I walked my dogs. It stopped as I pulled into my parking space. It was raining when I went to lunch. It stopped as I pulled into my parking space. For the last hour of work all I heard about was this intense fog. INTENSE fog. Of course, just in time for the evening commute; not that I have a very long or difficult commute, but still, just in time. The fog was so thick that I could bear see my hand in front of my face, or the road I was attempting to drive on. SO THICK.

Modern cars have “fog lights”, I guess they did some
research that headlights gave insufficient lighting in foggy conditions. Why not add fog lights – designed specifically for foggy conditions. It makes sense, like intermittent windshield wipers (thanks Robert Kearns). I suppose I’m lucky enough to have fog lamps (as they are called in twenty 08) standard on my Jeep, at least I thought I was lucky enough. Not that I don’t think fog lamps make my Jeep look awesome – either on or off. So tonight, I lost my fog lamp virginity! I pulled the lever that controls my headlights and WHAM – fog lamps! I really thought I was going to be able to see for miles, go speeding by all the other suckers without fog lamps – NOPE! They didn’t do anything – not a thing. I didn’t see anything more; nothing was clearer, brighter or easier. It was still just as hard to drive home, even with my standard fog lamps. The only saving grace in this whole story is I didn’t pay extra from my fog lamps!

No comments: